Capital Gains Taxes
The Capital Gains Tax, which is a tax on profits, actually penalizes a person
for success the more profit you make the more you have to pay (i.e., the more
profit a person makes the higher tax rate they pay on that profit/windfall from
an investment). However, In the Bible, the more profit you make the more you are
rewarded. Both the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30) and
the parable of the minas (Luke 19:12-27) conflict with the notion of a
tax on capital gains. “For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he
will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be
taken away.” In other words, the Bible implies that those who do well (invest)
with what they have will be given more.
The parable of the landowner and laborers (Matthew 20:1-16) is applicable
to the employer/employee relationship and the issue of wages. The landowner hires
workers at different times of the day and yet pays each worker the same amount
at the end of the day. When the workers hired first complain, the landowner replies,
“Did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what is yours and go your
way. I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. Is it not lawful for
me to do what I wish with my own things?” (“things” is translated
as “money” in some versions) There is an implication that the landowner
had a right to determine the wages his workers received, as well as an implication
that the workers could accept or reject the landowner's offer of work. James
5:4 provides a balance in that the Lord hears the cries of the laborers who
are cheated out of wages they are due.
The current income tax structure in the United States mandates a higher tax rate
or percentage the more a person makes. This tax system is contradicted by scripture,
especially Exodus 30:11-15, which provided a “half a shekel”
tax for everyone numbered. Verse 15 states: “The rich shall not give more
and the poor shall not give less than half a shekel.” In addition, the Biblical
Tithe is not applied progressively, rather it is applied equally to everyone (“And
all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of
the tree, is the Lord's. It is holy to the Lord. . . .And concerning the tithe
of the herd or the flock, of whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall
be holy to the Lord.” Leviticus 27:30,32).
The Bible speaks to the issue of inheritance numerous times. Proverbs 13:22
states “A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children”
(something that is not likely with the current Estate Tax which can take up to
55% of an estate, leaving 45% to the children; when the children pass it on to
the grandchildren, up to 55% of the remaining 45% can be taken, leaving only 27%
of the original that would be passed on to the “children's children”).
Ezekiel 46:18 states that “the prince shall not take any of the people's
inheritance by evicting them from their property; he shall provide an inheritance
for his sons from his own property, so that none of My people may be scattered
from his property.” Other scriptures that deal with inheritance are Proverbs
19:14, I Chronicles 28:8, and Ezra 9:12.
To sign up on the WallBuilders email list and receive future information about historical issues and Biblical values in the culture, visit http://www.wallbuilders.com/ABTsignup.asp.